[mythtv-users] Re: New user and question about GPL

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:27:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:11:00 -0600, Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I said before, I may be wrong in my interpretation. You can always
> > email the gnu folks for a definitive answer.
> I have done this. If I get a response I'll post in here.

Here's my question and the response from the Free Software Foundation:

> [dowobeha at gmail.com - Thu Dec 09 16:08:56 2004]:
> I know of a company that is distributing a modified GPL application.
> When someone I know (who has not purchased a binary copy) requested a
> copy of the source from the company, the company demanded proof of
> purchase of the binary.

> Is this behavior acceptable under the GPL? Must the company provide
> source to persons who have neither bought the software nor received a
> copy from someone else?

This looks like a violation of the GPL.  Source must either be included
with the binaries (in which case, it need not be distributed to any
third parties), or *offered* to *"all third parties"* (everyone).

Meetup with other Myth users!