[mythtv-users] RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Milos Prudek prudek at bvx.cz
Thu Dec 9 22:15:27 UTC 2004

> 3ware is what I'd recommend.  Promise is cheap for both cost and
> quality.  I prefer spending the money for the card on another drive and
> getting a cheap $10 PCI ide card and doing software raid5.  I've done
> this with many systems and it's more reliable than promise cards.

Since you have experience with software raid, I'd like to ask:

Is it possible to go from single drive (no RAID) configuration
to RAID-5 simpy by adding two more harddisks without
reformatting or backups? It's difficult to backup current
harddisks due to their sheer size...

Milos Prudek
Most websites are
confused chintzy gaudy conflicting tacky unpleasant... unusable.
Learn how usable YOUR website is! http://www.spoxdesign.com