[mythtv-users] Old WinTV bttv card, playback via PVR350

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Thu Dec 9 20:06:38 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've just built a myth system using a PVR350 and I'm really happy with
the recording and playback via the PVR350's hardware encoder and decoder
-- everything works quite nicely, many thanks everyone who made that
possible!

As well as the PVR card I also happen to have an old WinTV card,
supported by the bttv driver, that I'd like to use as a second input. I
can add the tuner card and setup the inputs etc. however when watch live
TV the output can't keep up because playback seems to be done in
software and the ivtvdev X driver doesn't support the Xv extensions.

However, I'm not too bothered about live TV -- I'd be happy just to have
the WinTV card record stuff as a backup when there is a conflict, my
concern is that when I come to play these recordings back later I will
have the same issue.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible that ivtvdev will support Xv at some point? I mean is it
currently not support just because nobody has done it (this is my guess)
or is their some fundamental feature of the ivtv fb hardware that makes
it impossible to support?

Is it possible to have input from the WinTV card encoded in such as way
that it can be played back via the PVR350's hardware decoder. It doesn't
particularly have to be in real time, although I guess that would be a
bonus, the system's processor is an Athlon XP 3200+.

I'm also thinking of getting a Freeview receiver some time in the new
year, probably a WinTV Nova-T. Since the Nova produces the raw MPEG
stream I'm guessing it is compatible with the PVR350 hardware decoder,
right?

Thanks,
Ian

--
Ian Campbell

pos += screamnext[pos]  /* does this goof up anywhere? */
             -- Larry Wall in util.c from the perl source code