[mythtv-users] Advice on TV vs Monitor to use with Epia M10k

Derek Jennings derek at disposable.dnsalias.org
Thu Dec 9 13:46:22 UTC 2004

I love my MythTV so much that I thought an upgrade to my TV would make it even
more enjoyable.
I currently use my Epia M10K mobo at 800x600 S-Video out to my old PAL 5:4
aspect ratio TV. The TV quality is good, but text is pretty fuzzy hence the
desire for an upgrade.

Since I do not actually use the TV tuner and rely on Myth for everything I
thought I could use a computer monitor instead of a TV and have really crisp
text. But the more I read about deinterlacing, progressive scan et al the
more confused I get.

If I use a monitor instead of a TV will I need deinterlacing enabled, and can
the Epia 10k handle that? I tried enabling deinterlacing (BOB filter) and the
sound  became crackly when the OSD was on.

If I use a TV, will the text in Myth be acceptable? (Assuming I buy a better
TV than I have now)

And if I get a widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio can the TV output of an
Epia M10K handle that? The manual only mentions 800x600 or 1024x768 TV Out.

Any advice and experience would be appreciated.

BTW: I am in the UK and use DVB tuner cards.

Thanks

derek