[mythtv-users] New user and question about GPL

stefan at maverickintegration.com stefan at maverickintegration.com
Thu Dec 9 13:24:05 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

I just joined a few minutes ago. I installed MythTV a while back and I
really liked it. I hope to gain some useful info from this mailing list.
Just saying hi.

My question about GPL is:

What is the procedure to get a copy of the source code from a company that
is selling GPL software?

I noticed that the company called xperinet (www.xperinet.com
<http://www.xperinet.com/> ) is selling a machine with MythTV on it. The
cost of the 1.2TB machine is $8,000!! Parts inside it are worth about
$2,000. Anyways, I would like a copy of their modified version but they ask
for proof of purchase. Do I need to buy their product to take advantage of
getting the source? I want to build my own machine with pieces of their
modded version of MythTV

Thanks

-Stefan