[mythtv-users] Can I play scaled HDTV content on a standard TV?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 23:06:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:32:47 -0500, Kyle Rose <krose+mythtv at krose.org> wrote:
> > So, just to clarify, the following is what I now believe to be true.
> > Please confirm or deny:
> >
> > 1. HDTV shows can be watched on a standard definition TV, albeit at
> > far less than true HD quality
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2. (#1) can be done without actually transcoding the recorded
> > content
>
> Yes.
>
> > 3. (#2) is true because the video card is scaling the content
> > on-the-fly
>
> Yes, through Xv, but software can do it too (at the cost of
> significant CPU).
>
> > 4. If desired, the recorded HD show can be transcoded to a lower
> > resolution.
>
> Yes.
>
> > 5. If (#4) is done, playback of the transcoded show will require much
> > less processing power than playback of the original (non-transcoded)
> > HD show
>
> Yes, if you amortize over lots of playings or consider only the
> playback-time CPU usage: the actual transcoding will take more CPU
> power than viewing the recording once, but if you don't have enough
> CPU power to view the recording in realtime, you don't have much
> choice anyway. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Kyle

Thanks, Kyle!

On #5, yes, I meant the cpu cost of playback only.

As I said, I'm really pleased to hear these answers. I plan to get a
pcHDTV card before Big Brother comes along in July, but I don't plan
to get an HDTV that soon. I'm hopeful that my processor will be able
to handle HD playback, as that was the entire reason why I went with a
high-powered P4.

Cheers,
Lane

--