[mythtv-users] Replacing KDE with Ratpoison

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 11:53:19 UTC 2004

I've been trying to replace KDE with Ratpoison, but KDE seems to have an
extremely strong will to live and no matter what I do I can't get any other
window manager to start up. Here's what I've done.

I'm on FC2 and have downloaded ratpoison-1.3.0-1.rhfc2.nr.i386.rpm and
installed it. I use gdm on bootup. There's a file called RatPoison in
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/ which looks like this:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession ratpoison

In my home directory I have a file called .xsession which looks like this
(should it be .xsession or .Xsession - I've tried both?):
    #!/bin/sh
    exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession ratpoison

I also have a file called .Xclients which is exactly the same as the
xsession file.

I have modified /etc/sysconfig/desktop to look like this:
    ###DESKTOP="KDE"
    DESKTOP=""

None of this seems to have made a blind bit of difference. When I boot into
Windows I get the gdm screen and select Ratpoison from the Alt-S sessions
menu, but even then it _still_ fires up KDE.

I noticed that someone in gossamer-threads once said that all was involved
was installing the Ratpoison rpm and making a one line change to a config
file. Mmmmm.... perhaps he wasn't running FC2!

Does anyone know what I have to do to get KDE to just butt out?

TIA,
Phill