[mythtv-users] Re: pcHDTV with FX5200 TV-Out

Dan Lanciani ddl5 at danlan.com
Wed Dec 8 01:58:10 UTC 2004

Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:

|On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:41:14AM -0500, Dan Lanciani wrote:
|> Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
|>
|> |Well, I just remembered I have two clips you can try out, one 1080i, one 720p,
|> |both sitting around on my web server.
|> |
|> |1080i: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/cbs-in-hd.nuv
|> |720p: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/abc-in-hd.nuv
|> |
|> |Both are in the 100MB or so range, less than a minute each, but should be
|> |suitable for testing.
|>
|> Ok, I finally got back to this. :)  Recall that the question was about
|> how real 16:9 material displayed on my TV-Out.  Although I was pretty
|> sure it was wrong, the signals I was viewing were really 4:3 with side
|> bars to fill out to 16:9 so I wasn't 100% sure.  I downloaded your ABC
|> clip, but it also seems to be 4:3 with side bars!  Worse, it plays with
|> a horrible slow-motion stutter.  Recordings I make locally play ok.  This
|> is still the 3.2GHz P4.
|
|mplayer says both clips are 16:9,

Yes, I know the clip is 16:9 just as I know the OTA signal I've been viewing
is also 16:9.  But in both cases the content is 4:3 with side bars, so I can't
actually prove that TV-Out is chopping off a piece of the picture.  It really
doesn't matter--I know it's broken.  I just thought the clips were intended to
be different from what I had to work with. :)

|with the CBS clip at 1920x1080 and the ABC
|clip at 1280x720 (why they sideboxed 4:3 content is anybody's guess).

I've always assumed they do it because they don't want to keep switching
formats.  (Not that they switch to real 16:9 that often.)

|I'm
|playing them both on an Athlon XP 2400+ to a 30" LCD at 1280x768.  The
|monitor is driven by the DVI output of a generic GeForce FX5200.

Playing with myth or mplayer?

|I think XvMC has been mentioned as a way to keep CPU usage down.  When I
|tell mplayer to use it, though, it refuses to do so.  Is there some
|checklist somewhere of things to do to make sure XvMC will work and will be
|available to MythTV and mplayer?

Recent postings suggest that this isn't easy. :(

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl at danlan.*com