[mythtv-users] PII 333mhz laptop as frontend?

Craig M. Gelowitz craig at reg.trlabs.ca
Tue Dec 7 19:41:54 UTC 2004

As said below, it does depend on your real-time processing tasks... like
resolution/bit rate etc..

I can tell you from experience that I'm using a 300 MHz processor
overclocked to about 390 MHz and I am using it as a frontend in one of
my bedrooms.

I am also using MPG4 at 4.4 Mb/s transferring it over my 802.11b (yes..
I said b) and it works just about flawlessly.

Mark J. Small wrote:

>On December 7, 2004 02:12 pm, Calvin Gorriaran wrote:
>>I have a PII 333mhz laptop with around 256mb of RAM. It has a ati rage
>>mobility card for video. What do you think the chances of getting
>>mythfrontend to run well on it? All it would be doing is mythfrontend, no
>>other services or tasks. It is basically just for use in my bedroom.
>It depends mostly on your recording settings.  If you are doing mpeg2 at
>320X240, then there should be no problem.  If you have superhighres mpeg4,
>then you are out of luck.  My advice is to give it a try.
>mythtv-users mailing list
>mythtv-users at mythtv.org

Craig M. Gelowitz
Staff Researcher
Telecommunications Research Laboratories (TRLabs - Regina)
108 - 2 Research Dr.
Regina, SK.
S4S 7H9
P: 306-791-6136
F: 306-791-6140

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject
to copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.