[mythtv-users] Lightweight window manager recommendation

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Dec 7 16:17:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Travis Osterman wrote:

> I've been using Myth on my dedicated fc1 box for roughly one year now
> and have only wonderful things to say.  During the holidays I am
> planning on performing some hardware upgrades to my system and am will
> be installing gentoo on my Myth box.  I haven't ventured far in the
> relm of window managers (I prefer gnome myself) so I was looking for a
> recommendation on a lightweight wm that would offer a slight increase
> in performance from KDE.
>
> I've seen blackbox and fvwm mentioned in the mythtv.org howto and
> would appreciate any more information whether one is preferrable or if
> there are other undocumented alternatives.  Thank you all for a
> wonderful project and community.
>
> -- Travis

 	Mine is more or less a "settup box," so I don't have a mouse
connected to it.  I've found that ratpoision is pretty good to keep things
lightweight while still being able to get at a terminal or run other
things at the same time.  If you know how to use 'screen' from the
console, 'ratpoison' works the same way (ctrl-t, [0123] to switch between
window [0123], etc).  It automatically fullscreens everything and puts
focus on the top one.

-Cory