[mythtv-users] Problem with wife-friendly feature

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 09:06:25 UTC 2004

> > I've been trying to get the wife-friendly power button to work. I found
> > that creating a symlink in .kde/AutoStart to irexec wasn't working for
> > me, so I put this line in /etc/rc.local:
> >
> > irexec --daemon /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc
> >
> > Problem is that I can't get the script to start mythfrontend. I can get
> > it to kill it and I know the shell script is getting executed because of
> > that and because I'm echoing some stuff to a /tmp file from it. My shell
> > script looks like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > PROG=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
> > STATUS=`ps -e | grep mythfrontend | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print
> > $1}'`
> > if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
> > then
> >    ( $PROG & )
> > else
> >    killall $PROG
> > fi
> > echo "mythrestart.sh executed at `date`" >> /tmp/mythrestart.log
> > echo "STATUS = $STATUS" >> /tmp/mythrestart.log
> > /usr/bin/mythfrontend
> > exit 0
> >
> > When mythfrontend is running it correctly kills it, but when it's not
> > running it doesn't start it up and I don' t understand why. One other
> > point that may be relevant here is that when this gets executed
> > mythbackend resets its idle timer which I presume means it thinks it saw
> > a frontend connect - but where is the frontend, 'cos I can't see it?
>

> do a /usr/bin/mythfrontend >somelog
>
> or even (for stderr)
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend 2>&1 >somelog
>
> My bet is that is is not running in X so it won't open up the file.  Try
> setting the display
> export DISPLAY=0:0
> you may need to have xhost set correctly.

I think you're right. When I run /usr/bin/mythfrontend from the command line
I get an error that says "Couldn't connect to X server".  But if I then do
"export DISPLAY=0:0" and run it I get this error:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for 0:6000: Name or service
not known
mythfrontend: cannot connect to X server 0:0

I'm out of my depth here - I have no idea what that means and I don't
understand what having xhost set correctly means. I thought this would be so
incredibly simple, but it's proving very difficult. Surely there's an easy
way to do this?

Regards,
Phill