[mythtv-users] [OT] Mailing Lists...

Brian LeFevre blefevre at ida.net
Mon Dec 6 15:42:10 UTC 2004

Sorry to flame but I hate this discussion....(maybe it is because my
thoughts are the one that always lose.)

I don't like to crowd my inbox (at the ISP).  I am obliged to download
once a day (which is sometimes not likeley).  I have noticed it is a
pain in the butt to answer to digest mode.

So I am stuck downloading hundreds of emails a night just so I can find
one I am remotely interested in posting to.  I often do search through
gossamer threads but I do not have my email account there where I search
and I cannot reply to the things then.

Most forums remember your passwords.  Most forums are as easy or even
easier to read than threaded mode in Thunderbird (threads are not
occasionaly broken).  Many inportant forums have been around for over 7
years.  How much of that  information is worth anything is a question to
many.  How many "I can't get sound threads" do we need!

Another thing.  Why do people respond "that is in the FAQ" instead of
saying "that is already covered in the faq but here is the answer"?  It
takes about the same amount of time for you to answer (especially if you
already know the answer)  Don't waste my bandwidth!!!!  same goes for
"can't wait to see your patch"  It makes you look like elitist snobs.
And I believe you are not.  You are trying to help.  If people would
learn to help themselves it would all be better.

I hate hearing email lists are easier for me.  Because for me they are
not easier they are a pain in the butt!  The "for me" excuse doesn't cut it.

---now that I got that off my shoulders....

if gossamer threads did allow login and posting that would solve all of
our problems.  That would be the better for everybody solution.  You can
have your email and we can have forum!!!!!