[mythtv-users] [OT] Mailing Lists...

Franco mythtv at email.it
Mon Dec 6 12:12:36 UTC 2004

> Probably going to draw fire on this, but...

Yes, a lot! :-)
This issue periodically arises....

> Why does the Linux community tend to collaborate with e-mail lists?

because they are much better

> real time messaging methods used made useful by various forum sites.

maybe it's nice for people who soesn't have a job
and has a lot of time to waste instead....

> aren't forums really a bit more "user friendly"?

Not at all!
Try to be subscribed to, say, 20 or 30 forums.
You'd spend ALL YOUR TIME (I mean, 25 hours a day)
jumping from a web site to the other, entering passwords,
browsing forums looking for answers for you....
is that "user friendly" ?

Then try to subscribe to 20 or 30 mailing lists.
You run fetchmail -d in the background
and configure procmail for automatically sending
mail from each list to the appropriate mailbox.
You save 24 out of your 25 hours a day :-) and can
do other things.

Hoping to not offend anyone, I believe that busy
and productive people strongly prefer mailing lists
as they allow to save lot of time, WHICH I call "user friendly".
I personally can't afford the time required to
follow a forum, I'm too busy for that.

Also, as a linux user it often happens to me that X stops working
(you know, you buy a new video card and after installing it
you discover it's not supported....)
and how could you possibly ask for help on a FORUM
if you are with no graphics?

I am currently still using sendmail/fetchmail/elm/vi to manage my email
(included this one) hence when I lose the usage of graphics
I still can read/write to my favourite mailing lists and ask for
help to recover the system....

Franco