[mythtv-users] Problem with wife-friendly feature

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 6 08:23:53 UTC 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 21:27, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I've been trying to get the wife-friendly power button to work. I found
> that creating a symlink in .kde/AutoStart to irexec wasn't working for me,
> so I put this line in /etc/rc.local:
> irexec --daemon /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc
> Problem is that I can't get the script to start mythfrontend. I can get it
> to kill it and I know the shell script is getting executed because of that
> and because I'm echoing some stuff to a /tmp file from it. My shell script
> looks like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> PROG=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
> STATUS=`ps -e | grep mythfrontend | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print
> $1}'` if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
> then
>     ( $PROG & )
> else
>     killall $PROG
> fi
> echo "mythrestart.sh executed at `date`" >> /tmp/mythrestart.log
> echo "STATUS = $STATUS" >> /tmp/mythrestart.log
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend
> exit 0
> When mythfrontend is running it correctly kills it, but when it's not
> running it doesn't start it up and I don' t understand why.

Is your mythfrontend actually /usr/bin/mythfrontend, or is it somewhere else?
(As in, if you're running a cvs install, it may
be /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend).

> One other point
> that may be relevant here is that when this gets executed mythbackend
> resets its idle timer which I presume means it thinks it saw a frontend
> connect - but where is the frontend, 'cos I can't see it?

I don't know if having irexec running from rc.local might cause the frontend
to attempt launching as root, causing some sort of odd auth problem... (I
know next to nothing about irexec).

Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...