[mythtv-users] New MythTV Hardware Review

Jason Gabriele jason.gabriele at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 15:12:57 UTC 2004

Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
>It will be too late.  6 months from now, sale of tuner cards for HDTV
>that could be used in an open source environment will be banned.  So while
>you may not get your HDTV display, you will be wanting to get your tuner
>card before June, and once you have it, you may as well put it in your
>system.
>
>However, the cards take no CPU to use, so they won't affect your
>decision much.  However, once you stat recording DTV and watching it
>on your computer monitor (which is actually higher res than all HDTVs
>under $5,000, you will want to get your HDTV sooner.
>
>Never buy hardware until you need it, of course, but there is a deadline
>here you may not have been considering.

I was under the impression that the cards must be able to read the flag.
In that case what if the card just transmitted that to the software and
let the software handle recording or live-viewing only (for flagged
broadcasts). I don't know how this would be handled in v4l but maybe an
additional device could be added which software could read from
(/dev/video/flag ?) to let it know it was flagged content. I don't know
all that much about the subject, so this is just speculation on my part.

--
Jason Gabriele
jason.gabriele at gmail dot com