[mythtv-users] New MythTV Hardware Review

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Dec 5 03:41:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 06:32:52PM -0800, Doug Heimburger wrote:
>  d) Our largest TV is currently a 27", and we don't plan to go HD in
> the next year at least

It will be too late.  6 months from now, sale of tuner cards for HDTV
that could be used in an open source environment will be banned.  So while
you may not get your HDTV display, you will be wanting to get your tuner
card before June, and once you have it, you may as well put it in your

However, the cards take no CPU to use, so they won't affect your
decision much.  However, once you stat recording DTV and watching it
on your computer monitor (which is actually higher res than all HDTVs
under $5,000, you will want to get your HDTV sooner.

Never buy hardware until you need it, of course, but there is a deadline
here you may not have been considering.

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list