[mythtv-users] Re: /dev/adsp not found after Gentoo update (john roberts)

Neil Milne maillist at hippoit.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 23:06:30 UTC 2004

> After I did a Gentoo update (emerge world) mythtv (live tv) was
> reporting that /dev/adsp was "device not found".  /dev/adsp was new
> to me - I thought I had configured mythtv to use /dev/dsp for all my
> capture cards (hd-2000 and pvr-250).
>
> I messed around for some time this weekend trying to work it out -
> and in a sign of desperation I removed the /dev/adsp link and
> re-created it to point to the /dev/dsp device.
>
> This is a terrible hack I believe and was wondering what I could do
> to correct this.
>
> The sound is now working again but I'm not happy with what I did.
>
> Any ideas?

This is a known issue with the current version of the module-init-tools
package. You need to downgrade to the last known good version - I'm
using 3.0-r2. The issue is with the one of the oss modules which fails
to load so you don't get your oss /dev nodes set up correctly.
There was a thread on the gentoo forums about it which is how I found
out about it :-)

HTH

Neil