[mythtv-users] OT: rsync, or is there a better option?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sat Dec 4 04:13:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 17:16, Brad Templeton wrote:
> I have to say that there are some pretty robust filesystems out there
> for linux, in which it should be pretty hard to lose files that are
> not being written to at the moment of system crash, unless you have
> a hard disk crash.   Of course only backup will prevent you from losing
> data in a hard disk failure.

I've had at least two crashes where I'm still able to use the disk, but
lost a lot of data. For example, when bringing the system back after a
crash it stops at a prompt telling me to run fsck. I've tried different
ways of recovering, including running fsck on unmounted drives or
running koppix and then running fsck. In any case having a backup would
be nice.

> But for the rest, it seems a pretty expensive thing to do (most of us
> feel we don't have enough disk space for our videos) on the videos
> that probably are going to be watched and then deleted thereafter.

$30 (after rebates of course) for 160 gig doesn't seem that expensive.
Good old day after Thanksgiving sales. Stick a couple in a low end PC
you have laying around and you have a lot of network storage. I don't
think it's an unreasonable cost.