[mythtv-users] Re: OT: How I plan on having Cable/OTA with HD-3000

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Dec 4 00:14:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:45:46PM -0600, Junkie Junk wrote:
> Junkie Junk wrote:
>
> >I bought an antenna
> >http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/1,2588,PI45474-CI209,00.html for
> >~$25 after pricematching to WM
> >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2153142 . It was
> >on BB and CC's website but no longer appear to be. It is "HDTV
> >approved" and has a 3-way switch that bypasses the cable through it as

There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna.  That's a marketing label.
It's all just RF at the antenna.

> >well as amplifying OTA beautifully. The only downside that one might
> >have is the switch is tiny (need to use finger nail) and you'd have to
> >get off the couch to change between Cable and HDTV. Also, the

They promise a QAM driver for the pcHDTV-3000 card I believe.  The idea
of a manual switch is very much not in line with the true believer PVR
concept.  Your cable company is required by law to give you the local
digital signals in unencrypted QAM over the cable, though not all are
yet obeying.

So, in theory, when you get the QAM drivers, and you are keeping your
cable, you won't need the antenna or the switch.