[mythtv-users] OT: rsync, or is there a better option?

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Fri Dec 3 19:58:59 UTC 2004

James Pifer wrote:

>Since my myth box has crashed a few times, including power loss and hard
>lockups, I want to backup my recordings, videos, etc so I don't lose
>anything the next time. So I picked up a couple large hard drives and
>have another linux box (FC3) ready to be a network storage device. I
>already backup important files, such as mysql dump, so I'm just talking
>the large video files here.
>
>What's the best way to get all my recordings, videos, mucis, etc sent
>over to this box every so often, maybe once a day. I'm thinking copy
>anything new or changed, and remove anything deleted from the source.
>Changes would only be made on the storage system, either adding or
>removing files.
>
>Would rsync be the best way to accomplish this or is there a better
>option?
>
>Thanks,
>James

Seems like if you have a LOT of movies and you record a lot every day,
you will be transfering a ton of data.  You may want to set up a
Firewire network or actually just set up an external drive to back up
to.  Sending that much data over the network could take forever.  I've
never set up the firewire network, but my system has the eth# device.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt