Dish channel changing Re: [mythtv-users] Feature Suggestions (Tivo)

Steve Bower sbower at cisco.com
Fri Dec 3 16:29:59 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> writes:

Kevin>      Also, the DishTV set top boxes have this nasty habit of
Kevin> putting you in a deadend condition if you select the wrong
Kevin> channel. This is a problem with Tivo since it neither detects nor
Kevin> routes around this problem. The Dish box is basically expecting
Kevin> human interaction contrary to the automated responses from the
Kevin> Tivo.

Kevin>      Tivo wants to spit out full channel numbers and the Dish box
Kevin> wants to only get chan-up or chan-down. The end result is a bunch
Kevin> of trashed recordings.

Kevin>      I was wondering if Myth has any "crash detection" or any
Kevin> other methods to route around this sort of problem?

Kevin>      For the Dish boxes, I suppose adding a chan-up command as a
Kevin> prefix to any explicit channel input would suffice as a
Kevin> workaround.

Hi Kevin,

I did this for a while with my mythtv/dish setup, but it ran into the
same issue when the chan-up put me onto a PPV channel...

I've been focusing my efforts more on hdtv lately, so I haven't been
fiddling with it much recently.

Can you access the guide from those screens?  If so, that might be a
"works everywhere" thing.

Or, we could always grab a still picture of the channel-change banner
and OCR it to see if it matches the channel we want to be on.  Or
compare the picture with the "bad channel" screen?

  Steve.