[mythtv-users] My ffmpeg nuvexport module so far

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Fri Dec 3 14:53:31 UTC 2004

Jonathan Markevich wrote:

> Lane Schwartz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:49:37 -0400, Jonathan Markevich
>> <mythtv at jonandtina.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Here (finally) is my module that I have been using with the most
>>> success
>>> for exporting MPEG1.  Notice that I declare a bunch of KVCD parameters
>>>

>> Just for clarification... This module will only export MPEG1, not
>> MPEG2? Right?
>>

> As it stands, yes.  ffmpeg will do MPEG2, AFAICT, if you look at
> ffmpeg -formats, you'll see a few of them that point to MPEG2.  I'm
> not really sure which ones would be appropriate...

I have used ffmpeg several times for a different purpose to encode
DV-AVI from my DV camera to DVD-quality MPEG2.  I did this using Kino
(the newest version), which has some nice ffmpeg export "pipes" (or
scripts).  You will notice that this is actually a 2-pass encoding,
which works awesome and produces great results.  I actually changed the
script slightly to put in  a denoise statement.  This was because I had
a few blips in my original source, but this ended up not fixing those.
It slows it down some, but I thought I would leave it in.  If you need
or want to take it out, let me know and I can send the original, as some
of the options change.  Here is how they do it:

if [ $pass -eq "1" ]; then
             ffmpeg -v 1 -f dv -i pipe: -f yuv4mpegpipe pipe: \
             -vn -f $audio_format -ac 2 -ab $audio_bitrate -ar 48000 -y
"$AC3" | \
             \
             yuvdenoise -r 16 -f 2> /dev/null | \
             \
             ffmpeg -v 1 -f yuv4mpegpipe -s "$normalisation" -r
"$frame_rate" -i pipe: \
             -an -target dvd -f mpeg1video -b 3000 -minrate 3000
-maxrate 3000 -ildct -ilme \
             -aspect 4:3 -pass 1 -passlogfile "$LOG" -y "$M2V"
else
   if [ $pass -eq "2" ]; then
             ffmpeg -v 1 -f dv -i pipe: -an -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p
pipe: | \
             ffmpeg -v 1 -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -s
"$normalisation" -r "$frame_rate" -i pipe: \
             -an -target dvd -f mpeg1video -b 3000 -minrate 3000
-maxrate 3000 -ildct -ilme \
             -aspect 4:3 -pass 2 -passlogfile "$LOG" -y "$M2V"
             mplex -v 1 -f 8 -o "$file".vob "$M2V" "$AC3"
             rm -f "$M2V" "$AC3" "$LOG-0.log"
   fi
fi