[mythtv-users] Re: [mythtv] Tip on how to slow down noisy DVD drives

Nezar Nielsen nezar.nielsen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:49:08 UTC 2004

It's weird that you (and some others on the thread, haven't read it
all) say it doesn't work with dvd drives, I have a DVD/CD drive (LG
Super multi, I think it's called) and both hdparm and eject works for
me for setting the speed, eg.:

hdparm -E 2 /dev/hdc
and
eject -t -x 2 (which also closes the tray)

both work for me.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:12:57 +0100, David Härdeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my DVD drive was spinning at full speed all the time when watching DVD
> movies (meaning it sounded like an airplane taking off). The different
> utils available to set the playback speed of CD-ROM's didn't seem to
> do much so I sent a mail to the Linux kernel mailing list.
>
> The thread can be seen here:
>
> But a more important result is probably this link:
> http://noto.de/speed/speedcontrol.c
>
> Which uses the SET_STREAMING command of DVD drives to lower the speed,
> I've been running it for the last week and it changed my DVD drive from
> being unbearably noisy to inaudiable.
>
> Thought I'd share this with everyone cause I can't be the only one who
> has suffered from this =)
>
> Re,
> David Härdeman
> david (at) 2gen (dot) com