[mythtv-users] Several General Questions

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:39:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Ryan A. Carris wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:54:50 -0800, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>> Brian Pilnick wrote:
>>> I've been researching HTPC's for a while and I think I'm ready to build
>>> a dedicated box for my parents.  (It's this or buying a tivo.)
>>
>> Buy them a TiVo.
>>
>> --  bjm
>
> 100% agree.  Myth is great for me, but not for non-technical people in
> locations where I can't physically maintain the box.

 	I think I'd agree here too (unless you live at home, and even
then... ;)  MythTV is great for those who like to tinker and make more out
of something than a basic TIVO.  Realistically, it's expensive to buy the
hardware flat out for the purpose.  It's a PITA to set up (and strangely
seems to be inversely related to how much you spend on it).  When it
sneezes, more often than not it requires a bit of command-line wizardry to
make it go again.

 	Don't get me wrong, it's a great utility and it's possible to get
one configured that's rock-solid and never needs tweaking.  Unfortunately,
that's the exception and not the rule.  If you don't need the advanced
stuff, it's much less exciting.

-Cory