[mythtv-users] OT: FC3 UDEV vanilla kernel?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Dec 1 23:50:01 UTC 2004

 	I have managed to waste an entire day trying to install Fedora
Core 3 on my Frankenstein dual Athlon system.  After a number of hours and
swearing, I got it to install and somewhat boot (No dma, usb, or X).  I
rolled a vanilla kernel just like normal and was shocked to find that
Redhat finally did it.... they made an extremely important component of
the OS (i.e. all the /dev entries) dependent on their custom kernel hacks.
It's not really possible to run a vanilla kernel.org kernel on FC3 since
their udev isn't compatible with the vanilla kernel udev.

 	It's slightly related to Mythtv, since sometimes people need to
run things other than the ATRPMS.  My production machine is a RH9 box with
some ATRPMS on it (xmltv most notably).  Anyway, it doesn't seem possible
to mix-n-match now (or patch for that matter).

 	Sorry, but just needed to vent a bit.  Maybe save some other poor
saps the energy.  Now I'm off to find a real distro since Redhat finally
killed theirs.

-Cory