[mythtv-users] OT: 802.11g connection for backend

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 01:51:22 UTC 2004

I know wireless options for mythboxes have been discussed repeatedly
on the list, but it seems that those are usually for frontend systems.
 I currently have a backend/frontend combo box (that I may connect via
802.11g) and a single remote frontend.  I'm planning to install an
additional remote frontend in the not-too-distant future so I'd be
looking at two frontends connecting to the backend via 802.11g.  I'd
also have an xbox using the same 802.11g bridge, but that shouldn't be
too bandwidth intensive.  For clarity, here's a better description of
my proposed network setup:

3 PC's connected directly to router via cat5e.  One of those PC's is
the existing remote frontend.  I'd then have an 802.11g bridge
connecting a switch to the router via wireless.  That switch would
connect both the xbox and master backend to the router.  I'm thinking
that I'll be okay since g should give me 30 Mbits or so.  Of course,
the remote frontends will be mounting the video, movie and music
directories via NFS over the same connection.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Again, I'm pretty sure this
should be okay, but it never hurts to ask before dropping $100 on a
wireless bridge.

Brad