[mythtv-users] adding a second hard disk

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 31 15:18:35 EDT 2004

Hi, All.

I have been (very happily) running Mythtv .15.1 on FC1, with a pvr-250 and
160GB hard disk.  I've now come into possession of a new 200GB hard disk and
want to add it.  While doing so, I thought I should use lvm and also make
the switch from ext3 to xfs on the old video partition, in the hopes of
making the deletes go faster.

I believe I am clear on how to add the new disk and use it with lvm.  After
setting it up I am planning to copy all of the myth files in /var and /video
over to it, set up the old partitions for lvm, and then finally reformat for
xfs.  I am assuming that this will allow me to group the old and new
partitions all together into a single big partition for all my shows and
videos.

Anyway, am I right about this?  Anything I should watch out for?  It all
seems fairly straightforward, and indeed I see nothing in the archives about
this.  But I thought I would make a quick check before diving in, since I am
not all that experienced with linux...

Thanks.

Peter