[mythtv-users] PVR 350 vs PVR 250?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Aug 30 17:02:33 EDT 2004

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>Note that the 250MCE *has* the decoder, but since there's no TV-out
>hardware, no one's figured out whether it can be used as a standalone
>hardware decode-codec yet.
>
>Cheers,
>-- jra

You sure about that?

Actually the cx23415 that was in the PVR-350 and the *old* PVR-250 is an
encoder/decoder.  The cx23416 which is in most retail PVR-250 including
the PVR-250 MCE is an encoder only.

I guess we should also include the standard warning about the
"blackbird" PVR-250.  This design uses the cx23880 which isn't yet
supported in the ivtv driver.  You may also see this referred to as the
Hauppauge Roslyn board.  Sorry, I don't know much more about these
because most people just avoid them.

There was a guide somewhere with pictures and model numbers, but I don't
have a link handy.  Should be able to find it with some googling.

--
David