[mythtv-users] PVR 350 vs PVR 250?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Aug 30 13:46:04 EDT 2004

On 8/30/2004 1:25 PM, Scott Sharkey wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm looking to build my first MythTV box, and wondering what the
>functional differences are between the two above Hauppage cards?
>I know that the 250 does hardware decoding/encoding, so is there
>any good reason to get the 350 instead? What kind of differences will
>I see? Any advice appreciated!

These question comes up so much we should add it to the FAQ.  You can
search the archives for more information.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv;do=search_results;search_forum=forum_1;search_string=250%20vs%20350;search_type=AND&sb=post_time

Basically the PVR250 is encode only.  The PVR350 adds TVout (and can
encode/decode).  Most people just get the 250 and use tvout on a
graphics card.  However there are a lot of people using the PVR-350 tv
out.  Other major differences:  the PVR250 is cheaper, the PVR350 is
hard to find, and unless you get the PVR250 MCE the PVR250 does not have
a radio input (the PVR350 does).

HTH,
David