[mythtv-users] Re: Still no sound

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Aug 29 18:04:08 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 09:23:37PM +0100, Jo Pettitt wrote:
> OK, spent most of last night trying to get this nailed but failed
> miserably! This is what happens. After speaking with a few people on the
> ivtv development irc channel I have installed Gentoo dev-sources
> 2.6.8-rc3. I have made sure that there isn't a msp3400 module in
> /lib/modules.
>
> Then I installed ivtv 0.1.10-ck-106g.
>
> My /etc/modules.d/ivtv file looks like this:
>
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>
> What happens is that the picture is fine and still no audio. After
> running dmesg I see that msp3400 throws a fault like it is the wrong
> version (see below).
>
> My question is this. Why does the fault persist even though I have the
> correct version installed in the correct place? Is there something else
> that conflicts with it? After many searches I haven't found anything
> remotely similar that hasn't been fixed!

As near as I can figure, Jo, annoying as it is, the problem is that
you're still not loading the right msp3400 driver, and I can't quite
figure out why.

> msp34xx: init: chip=MSP3418W-A2 +nicam +simple +radio
> msp3410: daemon started
> ivtv: i2c attach [client=MSP3418W-A2,ok]
> msp3400: error while reading chip version

One of those three messages, and I don't recall off hand which one,
should say msp34xx: ivtv version, and it still doesn't.  I expect you
might have better luck on the ivtv list, actually.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi