[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Martin Ravell martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au
Sun Aug 29 02:50:39 EDT 2004

Daniel Savard wrote :

>The file in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers must be ivtvdev_drv.o, so,
>make sure you have an unzipped ivtvdev_drv.o file otherwise it won't
>work at all. You can check with the following command:
>
>file /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o
>
>the result should be something like:
>
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o: ELF 32-bit LSB
>relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
>
>If your are getting something like:
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o: gzip compressed data, was
>"ivtvdev_drv.o", from Unix
>
>Your nightmare is probably finished. Just do:
>
>mv ivtvdev_drv.o ivtvdev_drv.o.gz
>gunzip ivtvdev_drv.o

Unfortunately in this case I was not that stupid. I had gunzip'd the file as
instructed originally.

[root at porky drivers]# file ivtvdev_drv.o
ivtvdev_drv.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
not stripped

[stuff removed]

>Maybe a little bit silly, but you may try BusID "01:00:0" instead of
>BusID "1:00:0", just to make sure the problem is not related to such an
>oddity in the XF86Config parser.

I've tried all sorts of combinations in this field (including your
suggestion) and none of them seem to make any difference.

[stuff removed]

>I don't want to push you to switch to 2.6 or anything like that. I am
>just stating I cannot help much with 2.4 ivtv issues since I never made
>it working in such an environment. So, I don't know if there is some
>specific problems to address in order to make it working. It is probably
>better to stick to 2.4 rather than playing with something new if you are
>not comfortable with Linux.
>
>I will look at the config files and logs if updated later. BTW, I just
>tried your URL above and I am redirected somewhere else... Could you
>make sure to copy as well the XFree logfiles as found in the /var/log
>directory making sure you are picking the right files (look at the
>timestamp) and copy them under their original name.

2.4 or 2.6 doesn't particularly bother me. I'm not an absolute newbie at
Linux (and have played with HP-UX, AIX, Xenix and IRIX before). My linux
experience has however not been with device drivers or at this low a level.

I tend to be doing this configuration stuff at the command line with SSH if
that gives you an idea. (although I have VNC working as well).

It is just getting to the stage where I am considering giving up on the
350's X on framebuffer and taking a crack at this MX440 board I have spare
instead.

The 350 appealed to me because of the picture quality. I am a bit of a
purist when it comes to sound (built my own amps and speakers) so I was
hoping to keep the video also of a high quality.

Regards
Marty