[mythtv-users] mythtv and ME-6000 (CLE-266) hardware decoder

Michael Shiloh michael at makingthings.com
Sun Aug 29 02:34:53 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm new to mythtv, trying to figure out if it will do what I need.
I'm using an EPIA ME-6000 board, and my needs are pretty simple:

1. I need to be able to playback an MPEG-2 encoded movie on my ME-6000
2. I need to install the system to a CF card rather than a hard disk

I'm interested in mythtv because there exist examples of installing
on a CF card.

I must use the CLE-266 hardware decoder because the 600MHz board is not
fast enough to do decoding in software.

I do not have a tv tuner board, so I can't take advantage of any
other MPEG-2 hardware.

1. Can Mythtv take advantage of the CLE-266 hardware MPEG-2 decoder?
2. Does Mythtv use the VIA provided binary-only drivers or the Ivor
   reverse-engineered drivers?
3. Both the VIA and the Ivor drivers will only run on the stock
   kernels that VIA supports. Does (or can) Mythtv use these kernels?

Thanks,
Michael Shiloh