[mythtv-users] Re: Still no sound

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Aug 27 10:54:30 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 08:53:50PM -0400, Kyle Rose wrote:
> Jo Pettitt <jo at no-clutter.com> writes:
> > I've gone in and found a version of msp3400.ko and have deleted it and
> > did a make install on the ivtv driver folder. It seems to have been
> > replaced, but on rebooting it still doesn't have audio! What's the
> > next stage?
>
> After hearing about this problem for X months and having run into it a
> few times myself... is it asking too much that we simply rename ivtv's
> version of the msp3400 driver to something else?  This seems like the
> BFO solution to me. :)

I am not an expert, Kyle, but I believe that the answer to that is:
"that won't help, because the problem is not that the ivtv msp driver
is *not* getting loaded, but that the 'factory' one *is*".

That is, it's going to insmod the standard driver if it find one,
because of where it lives.  The path of least resistance is merepy to
find that and rename it.  Be nice if the install target *did* that, but
that's a different story.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi