[mythtv-users] Adding a second PVR-250

Bryan Ware bryan at hb-computers.com
Fri Aug 27 08:59:11 EDT 2004

OK, I will try the best that I can.

First boot to single user, this can me done by pressing 'e' when the
grub screen appears. If you have a password set, then press 'p' and
enter your password. Select the middle line and press 'e' to edit it. At
the end of the line, add the word 'single' and press enter. now press
'b' to boot to it. Once yo are a the prompt, type 'chkconfig mythbackend
off' which will prevent the backend from starting and loading the ivtv
drivers. now type telinit 5 to run your system in X. Once it is in X,
you need to remove the old ivtv drivers, you can do it from the command
line, but it is much easier to do it via synaptic. If you don't have
that installed, the open a terminal window and type 'apt-get install
syanptic'. Once installed or if installed, open the terminal again and
type synaptic. once that is open, do a 'find' and search for ivtv. Set
all the packages for ivtv to be removed and the 'apply' the changes.

With that done, close out synaptic and go back to the terminal window.
cd to /etc/apt, and vi the sources.list file. You want the change the
line the following line:
rpm    http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de fedora/1/en/i386 at-stable
to this:
rpm    http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de fedora/1/en/i386 at-bleeding
Once you have done that exit out of vi (:wq) and update apt-get (apt-get
update). Now you need to get the following ivtv drivers
ivtv-0.1.10-40_pre2_ck100m.rhfc1.at. Again, you can do this by command
line, but it is far easir to search for ivtv in synaptic. Here are the
rpms installed on my machine:

ivtv-0.1.10-40_pre2_ck100m.rhfc1.at
perl-Video-ivtv-0.12-5.1.rhfc1.at
kernel-module-ivtv-2.4.22-1.2197.nptl_51.rhfc1.at-0.1.10-40_pre2_ck100m.rhfc1.at
ivtv-firmware-2.02.023-3.at

You will want to get these (Get your kernel Module) for your system.Once
you find them in syanptic, 'apply' the changes and close synaptic. I
would go ahead and reboot your system now.

Once your computer reboots, you will need to log in and open a terminal
window again. Now do a lspci -vv to find out the order of your cards,
this is important because we need to modify your modules.conf file to
set the cardtype= parameter. Here is the relevant output from my system.

02:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4801
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

02:0c.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4801
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

The first card here is my Retail pvr250, the second is my pvr250mce.
when you modify	your modules.conf file, you have to modify the following
line with your cardtypes:

options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 cardtype=1,2 mpg_buffers=90

I had to change the types until I got to this and it worked. once you
have modified it, try to start the backend service, 'service mythbackend
start'. If it locks up, hard reboot and change the cardtype. If your
cards are in the same order as mine, it should work right off the bat.

Good luck,
Bryan

Bryan Ware <bryan at hb-computers.com>