[mythtv-users] High CPU Usuage

MacNean C. Tyrrell dardack at nycap.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 22:52:57 EDT 2004

So when i boot my system everything is fine and dandy, but over time
mythfrontend seems to use a lot of CPU.  I have a celeron 2gig and a
pvr250.  The back end while recording uses very little.  But as soon as
mythfrontend starts it's using between 19-22% of the cpu while doing
nothing.  If i watch a recording it starts another thread that runs
about 68%.  So i have two mythfrontend threads running using 90%,
between the system usage and mythbackend recording, my idle drops to 0
and i get pauses and such.  If i reboot i don't seem to have much of a
problem, but time goes on it happens again.  I don't get it.  I have an
sis 315 card and am using the Thomas Winshhofer driver that has XV
enabled.  I checked with xvinfo.  Dma is enabled.  It's really
frustrating.

I can probably definetly say that the pauses or jumpy video at times is
due to lost frames during playback due to high cpu usage.  I just don't
understand why there are two threads and why they are so high in cpu
usage.  I appreciate any help here.