[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Question

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Wed Aug 25 13:11:05 EDT 2004

JAC,

   I am currently using a BT878 based TV card. No hardware encoding. I am
currently software encoding to MPEG4 and MP3 so that one hour of
recording comes in at about 1GB of disk and around 700MB after
commercials are cut. I would like to be able to export this video out
of the NUV format into something I could burn to CD and watch on my Mac
or on my Windows XP laptop. Currently I have been using nuvexport which
works, and audio only gets out of sync on about half of the exports and
is only slightly annoying (I assume this is because I have very clean
reception).
   The biggest problem for me is the export time. It takes around 45
minutes to export a half hour show that has a commerial cut list, which
is like 23 minutes of actual material. So it takes twice as long and it
really hammers the CPU of my Myth machine, so much so that I can not do
much else on the machine. I also think it is silly to re-encode the
material when it is already in the format I want, but I guess there is
no way around that. So, I figured a hardware solution would solve all
of my problems at once, maybe with a little loss in video quality, but
I guess I could live with that.