[mythtv-users] [ALSA] "Skipping" arround a show causes an Abort (or segfault).

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Aug 25 08:02:25 EDT 2004

On 8/21/2004 7:17 PM, John Patrick Poet wrote:

> When using "pure" ALSA via my S/PDIF connection for audio, I get
> segfaults/aborts in the ALSA code if I "JUMP/SKIP" arround in the video
> very much.  I am using ALSA 1.0.5 since ALSA 1.0.6 has audio glitches.
>
> If I use OSS emulation, the Aborts/Segfaults do not happen, but I get
> several seconds of stuttering after a JUMP/SKIP which I do not get with
> "pure" ALSA.
>
> The crashes do not happen on every SKIP forward/backward, but they do
> happen often.  With one particular show, I can consitantly cause a crash
> by doing a dozen 30 second forward skips quickly, and then a couple of 6
> second skips backwards.

I really beat on my system last night trying to duplicate this, but
can't.  I tried 12 forward 30s skips and a couple of 6s back skips and
even more severe combinations and couldn't get mine to fail.

What type of source are these recordings coming from (satellite, cable,
OTA)?  Are they HD?  I only tried SD recordings (cable and satellite)
because I still haven't upgraded my CPU to play HD without audio dropouts.

--
David