[mythtv-users] Responsiveness of MythTV

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Mon Aug 23 13:08:33 EDT 2004

> I downloaded a trial of SnapStream and I was
> surprised at how sluggish it was.  Just switching from the Main Menu
> to Live TV took about 5 seconds on my P4/2.6.

There is still going to be a delay in between selecting "Watch TV" and
actually seeing video on-screen, due to the fact that the encoder needs
to encode video before the decoder has anything to display.

Yes, this is a design decision.  No, there's no way to reduce this
delay.  Yes, you can change "Watch TV" to actually spawn an external
application, like xawtv.

> How responsive is MythTV compared to Tivo?

More.