[mythtv-users] What am I doing wrong? (Could not open network socket)

Dave Bush statman at twcny.rr.com
Mon Aug 23 00:17:58 EDT 2004

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Well, since we're already here...
>
> If you have a new PVR-x50, it sounds like you're using a card with an
> LG TAPE (probably the H091F) tuner.  Hauppauge just started using that
> tuner within the last couple of months.  If it's not new, you just
> need to find the right tuner type (see the tveeprom output below).
>
> The latest ck patches have your tuner mapped to a PAL tuner (type =
> 37), even though it's an NTSC tuner (which causes the channels off by
> one problem and bad colors).  Unfortunately, the tuner you have is not
> yet supported by the BTTV project (IvyTV uses the tuner module from
> the BTTV project).  Users on the IvyTV ML had been setting the tuner
> type to 39 to get partial functionality (channels up to 61 worked,
> everything above was static) by using the definition for the previous
> rev of the tuner.
>
> However, I just posted a patch for BTTV/the Linux kernel that adds
> support for the tuner (as well as a patch for the latest ck patches
> which provides autodetection support), and am actively (hence the post
> here) soliciting feedback.  If you do have this tuner (tveeprom will
> report idx = 68, see below), please see the thread at
> http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Aug-2004/msg00286.html and I would very
> much appreciate your feedback if you get a chance to test the patches.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> tveeprom output for the new tuner:
>
> tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 32552, rev = C168, serial# = 7277385
> tveeprom: tuner = <unknown> (idx = 68, type = -1)
> tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
> tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3440 (type = 11)
>
> Note that on the second line, tveeprom reports an index and a type.
> The type is the value that should be used for the type in the tuner
> option.  If the type given is -1, the tuner is unidentified.  However,
> the idx = 68 in this case corresponds to the LG TAPE tuner for which
> patches are posted at the above URL.  Once the patches are applied,
> the tuner will no longer be shown as unidentified.

Hi Mike - thanks for the response. I just posted the following to a IVTV
support forum. From what you see below does it sound like I need your
patch? (I'm pretty sure it does.)

Thanks,
- Dave

[pasted from http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31277#31277]

Hey all,
    I've been trying all day to get my new PVR-350 working so I can use
it in MythTV but the tuner just doesn't want to cooperate. Here's the
info from tveeprom:

tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 48132, rev = K168, serial# = 7336143
tveeprom: tuner = LG TAPE-H001F MK3 (idx = 68, type = 37)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3440 (type = 11)

    My /etc/modutils/ivtv (yes, I'm using Debian Sid) looks like this:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner type=37
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

    Yes, I'm making sure I run update-modules after editing
/etc/modutils/ivtv.

    I'm running the 2.6.7 kernel with ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck105b patched
for 2.6 from http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/.
<http://kmos.org/%7Eckennedy/ivtv/> Everything compiled and installed
fine, and it's working -BUT!- I'm having the "channel x is really
channel x-1, and the colors aren't quite right" problem.

    What am I doing wrong here? Can anyone help me figure this out? So
far I've tried 24 different tuner types (if
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.7/Documentation/video4linux/CARDLIST.tuner
said the tuner type was NTSC or didn't say which specific type it was I
tried it) with no luck, and I know I'm close but it's not working yet.

Thanks,
- Dave