AW: [mythtv-users] mythtv on EPIA MII 12000

JJ van Gorkum job at knowzone.org
Sun Aug 22 07:12:22 EDT 2004

Steven wrote:

> I've set up a system with a EPIAM10000 and a PVR250.
> Problem with the EPIA (at least the 10000 but i think a read this goes
> for the 12000 also) is that you will need to use hardware decoding
> (viaslice) if you want to use the EPIA's onboard tv-out for mythtv
> playback. The quality of this is still less then the normal software
> decoding playback I've seen with a nvidia or sis card. (the OSD is
> grayscale and there are mpeg decoding artefacts that are not in the
> recordings)
> For mpeg4 and DVD playback you can do without the HW decoding (using
> mplayer and/or xine) and get decent results with the EPIA, but not for
> live tv and recordings playback using mythtv.
>
> You mention a PVR350. You could use that tvout for myth playback and
> get great results but you can't use it for decent quality DVD and
> mpeg4 playback.
>
> I suggest you get a system with a better processor so you can do
> software mpeg decoding and use a PVR250.
>
> Steven

I have built a test system (Dual Xeon P4) and have used the TV output on
the PVR 350 adapter.  But I could not get the XVideo extensions enabled
on the PVR adapter. without XV extensions video playback (non mpeg) and
overlay support will eat up the CPU. So I used the TV output on my
nvidia adapter and hoped that it would be possible to enable XV support
on the onboard video (wich has the CLE266 chipset -- so hardware MPEG
decoding should not be a problem) adapter of the MII 12000 board.

--
JJ van Gorkum                             Knowledge Zone
If UNIX isn't the solution, you've got the wrong problem