[mythtv-users] Re: No sound on some channels only when recording with PVR-250

Matthew Morris matthewm_999 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 12:31:04 EDT 2004

> I have a strange problem I have been trying to fix
and
> I was wondering if anyone else had seen the same.
>
> I have a mythtv version 15 using a pvr-250 capture
> card and IVTV drivers on Mandrake 10 (kernel
> 2.4.25-2mdk) and ivtv
> I can watch live TV via mythtv with no problems.
> liveTV comes from a buffer so I can pause and
delay..

> If I try to record then some channels will record
with
> sound and some will record without sound.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any pattern to which
channels
> record with sound or which don't. The channels don't
> change ie those that record with sound always do and
> those that don't record with sound always don't.
>
> Anyone else seeing this or have any advise on to
what
> to look for?

I followed Bob's suggestion to look at IVTV.
I learned alot about the driver but did not fix my
problem..

Turns out it was a rather pedestrian configuration
error.

I had setup some programs to record using the "low
quality" profile..
All other programs were using the "default profile".

The default had Audio Type: set to "Layer I" which
gives me the no sound problem.. All the other profiles
had Audio Type: set to "Layer II"

I found the clue that eventually pointed me in this
direction in /var/tmp/mythbackend.log. I added "-v
all" when starting mythbackend to get "all" the
messages.

Thanks to the mythtv developers for actually putting
useful debug messages in their code.

Hope this saves someone the 3 weeks of frustration I
endured in figuring out such a truely stupid problem.