[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend version question

Jamison Ables mythlist at alltel.net
Fri Aug 20 19:08:26 EDT 2004

Matt Picker wrote:

>That's good to know.  I looked at mythtv-xbox for a
>while but i'm a gentoo man so I didn't give it much of
>a chance.  Does it use a differant window manager?
>How would mythtv run on my xbox with running kde also?
> Thanks.
>Matt

>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

It uses blackbox for a window manager. I to have used gentoo and gentoox
in the past and that of course was another option i had.  As  far as KDE
goes, my xboxes use swap now with blackbox and mythtv, and I'm sure
pretty sure without upgrading to 128megs it would preform badly.
(Disclaimer: I have never tried this.) I am thinking about upgrading one
of my boxes to 128megs (its not like a computer, you have to soldier it
on) and i am fairly certain that it would do a better job. (Another note
their is a new verison of Mythtv-Xbox out and it has some improvement. I
have yet to try it.) The only time i really ever notice a problem is
when i am watching racing (ie fast motion) and its not bad at all.  I
choose not to go down the gentoo road due to the fact that Mythtv-Xbox
does work so well. Like i said its not perfect but close and I'm really
not sure your going to see any performance increase.  The best part of
Mythtv-Xbox is the install. Its extremely easy. In no time I can take a
stock xbox and have it running. I would say that Mythtv-Xbox is the
easiest way to setup a frontend with tvout and a remote. Like i said
before its also a very cost effective way as well. (I tried to start
with gentoox pro one day and set it up for mythtv. After 24+ hours i
gave up and said it wasnt worth it.)   Just 1. "patch" the xbox 2. boot
off of the xebian disc 3. ssh into the xbox and setup the network 4.
download a small gunzip file and decompress 5. run the install script
and play along 6.  let it reboot and thats it (also the xbox remote
works without doing anything :) )