[mythtv-users] nuv->avi possibilities?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 15:20:05 EDT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 14:09, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:00:49AM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > > to what my best option for repacking my NUV files is.
> >
> > There isn't one at the moment.  We need one of three things to
> > happen:
> >
> > mplayer/mencoder needs to support myth's modified nuv format (the
> > nuv patch no longer covers this)
>
> For what it's worth, the current ZIPfile mplayer for Windows *can*
> read un-transcoded Myth .nuv files over the network and play them
> just fine, no skips, desyncs, or nothin.
>
> Recorded from a -250, so maybe that doesn't mean anything, but...

So, therefore, it's probably just an MPEG-2 file with a ".nuv" extension
instead of ".mpg".

> > And lastly, imho the best option, mythtranscode needs to support
> > (preferably, and probably most easily) demultiplexing the nuv into
> > its component pieces, or a straight avi conversion.  The
> > demultiplexing option is best for me for nuvexport, and at that
> > point it wouldn't be hard to then remultiplex the streams into an
> > avi (or ogg or whatever) container.
>
> I thought that the current transcode utility *did* split the streams,
> and put them on two fifos; did I misunderstand something?

The fifos contain the *decoded* (i.e. raw/analog) streams so that a tool
like nuvexport can re-encode them, which is inherently a lossy process.
We currently have no reliable way to re-package the unmodified A/V
content from a Myth .nuv container into another container, except for
avidemux2.

-JAC