[mythtv-users] noticible interlace on myth-cvs, but not in myth0.15.1 anyone else?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Aug 19 10:23:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:01:19AM -0400, Doug Larrick wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >Is bob only useful on progressive displays? I'm using it on regular
> >composite out and it seems to make a world of difference. On the other
> >hand I didn't have experimental A/V sync enabled before either.
>
> The intent of the code is that it will detect that your display device
> doesn't have a high enough refresh rate to support bob (needs to display
> each field separately, so for a 30fps video it needs a 60hz display).
> If it's a 30hz display (i.e. a normal TV), bob should disable itself,
> and you won't get any deinterlacing at all.  If you apply the attached
> patch, you'll get an explicit message should this be the case.
>
> I would guess that in your case, the improved video sync is making a
> bigger difference than deinterlacing.

Perhaps. I found that even with the latest code (and therefore improved
video sync always enabled), bob felt much smoother than kerneldeint,
which didn't seem improved by the a/v sync enhancements.

btw, I have issues with kerneldeint now where approximately 50% of the time,
I see some of the frames drawn horizontally offset from the correction
position. This gives a sort of "ghosting" effect. Very odd. Bob doesn't
do this, and kerneldeint didn't until recently.

I'll experiment some more. Thanks for your recent changes to the A/V
sync and deinterlacing; one or the other has been a big improvement for
me.

Hamish