[mythtv-users] SB live 5.1 + wiring external receiver

Renaud Desarzens rde_lists at desarzens.ch
Tue Aug 17 02:48:54 EDT 2004

> How do you connect your myth box's to an external receiver?
> I'm currently only using the DVD portion of Myth and it works
> with the pass through cable, to a digital input on my
> receiver.  This weekend I messed around with playing some
> video through mythvideo and I couldn't get sound without
> plugging the pass through cable into analog ports of my
> Receiver.  I don't want to switch back and for so is there an
> easy solution?

I found the following links very useful (some are related to nforce2 onboard
sound, but contain useful info on how to configure alsa driver to always use
digital out (spdif out)):

http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=DigitalAudioHowTo

http://wopr.yi.org/mythtv.html (see chapter 6. ALSA and SPDIF Setup)

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-April/039304.html (very good
and with small changes surely useable for your sb live 5.1)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/55133?search_string=%2Bnf
orce%20%2Bspdif;#55133

HTH
Renaud