[mythtv-users] confused newbie

t+mythtv t+mythtv at wondious.com
Mon Aug 16 16:20:39 EDT 2004

Sorry if this is a question with an obvious answer - maybe I'm just not
getting the MythTV interface.  But I hope that's the case - it'd be nice
if this is a simple lack of understanding.

Does MythTV actually have a feature to cut out sections of a recorded
video?  I found and used the editing controls - I set cut points to
strip the commercials out of a recorded program.  But then what?  How do
I get Myth to actually removed the segments marked for deletion?

I thought maybe the cut points would come into play when the video was
transcoded - but I can't seem to get the transcoding to work either.

The transcode package is installed (although it was NOT installed when
mythtv was compiled) and mythtranscode exists in /usr/local/bin with the
rest of the MythTV binaries.

When I select "Begin Transcoding", the menu item changes to "Stop
Transcoding", as though the transcoding process has begin, but it never
changes back, and there's no transcode (or mythtranscode) process running.

There are two "transcoder" recoding profiles defined in the MythTV
set-up, one for RTJPEG to MPEG4, and that one is set to initiate
transcoding after a recording is made.  The "default" profile is also
set to begin transcoding when a recording is made.

Maybe the problem is that I'm not understanding how to use the recording
profiles.  I see that I can have multiple recording profiles, but how do
I tell Mythtv to actually use one of the profiles?

Enlightenment would be appreciated.  Thanks...

--
Trever