[mythtv-users] Transcode/Architecture Questions..

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Mon Aug 16 16:02:44 EDT 2004

All,

   After hunting through the lists and the documentation this morning, I
am finally posting to the list. Hopefully someone can help me. Thank
you in advance.

   I have a MythTV machine setup that is running perfectly, and also well
loaded with scheduled recordings. I would like to take recordings with
me on the road, but I am at a loss as to how to do this without
negatively impacting performance on my MythTV machine when using
something like nuvexport. I understand with the native format that
MythTV stores video in that I am forced to re-encode the video to be
able to play it in apps like Video Lan Client. What I want to be able
to do is re-encode the video on my dual celeron workstation instead of
on the MythTV machine. Is this possible?

   Also, the architecture of the MythTV system is a little vague in the
documentation. I am at a loss to understand what the benefit is to
having multiple backends/frontends. Is there a general architecture
overview someplace? Also, it would be good to understand what is
required to setup multiple backends/frontends.

Regards,
    John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
    Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
    http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110