[mythtv-users] XvMC De-interlacing

Mon Aug 16 13:33:15 EDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Brandon Beattie wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 08:05:14AM -0500, john roberts wrote:
> >
> > All HD folks:
> >
> > I've been watching the Olympic Games on NBC OTA HD (1080i content).  I was wondering if anyone else has been watching and could comment on the quality of the picture.
> >
> > My processor is a 2.6G P4 and I've always had to enable XvMC for mythtv not to studder all the time while watching live TV.  Because of this I can only use the "poor mans XvMC deinterlacing" feature vs. the Mythtv de-interlacing software variations (which I hear are better).

My frontend used to run on a 2.6GHz HT P4.  For me the video was actually
smoother using Xv and *not* XvMC.  I overclocked it by 5%, but I
don't think that made a big difference.  A bigger difference was going to a
2.6 kernel.

I did a test once, where I compilied up a non-SMP kernel to see if that help
or hurt -- it hurt big time.  HT seems to be a big win for Myth doing HD
decoding.

> I do have to ask those watching HD, is "Hey Tom! Wacha Watching?" getting
> as anoying for you, or is just my local station that's playing that
> Sony commercial every 5 minutes during the HD Olympic streams?
>
> --Brandon

It does seem like Sony is the *only* HD sponser NBC was able to get...

Actually, I have seen other comercials at this point, but maybe they are
being injected by my local station.

It is almost painful to watch the Olympics in HD, and then switch to some of
the non-HD coverage.  Even on my 4:3 (HD compatible) Sony TV, HD material is
soooo much better than NTSC.

John