[mythtv-users] RE: NewB woes: Sound problems

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Sat Aug 14 18:25:28 EDT 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 22:28, James J Tucker wrote:
> Umm... err.. My sys clock isnt wrong.... im er... *testing* new
> time-shifting features... i thought that if i asked the question a few
> years before i did the intstall, i might be able to figure it out...  or
> something.
> /had to pull the mobo battery out last night to clear a Bios error. :)

You're right.  I could better have sent you a message in december 2001, that
way this never would've happened.  Timeshifting rules...!  ;-)

Now, onto the rest of your post ->

> >> 1) Sound loops, i get about a 2 sec loop of whatever channel i am
> >> watching,
> >> which repeats itself/amplyfies itself/echos. I think this might be the
> >> buffer filling, because it goes away after a minute or so. 2) Sound
> >> probs,
> >> part 2: Once i open the tv module, the system will never close the
> >> connection to the tv card. I can exit mythfrontend, kill the backend,
> >> even
> >> log out, and i get audio from whatever channel i left it on. 3)

Problem 1) and 2) are the same:  you left the mixer line-in unmuted, so you're
hearing A) the live TV sound and B) the sound mythtv is playing (lapsing 2
seconds).  You probably also have a feedbackloop there; that accounts for the
echo's.  Mute the line in per the docs.

> >> Video/sound
> >> mux probs: Im getting the "dubbed kung-foo movie effect" here, all the
> >> video settings are at 480, rtjpeg, pretty much default options. I cant
> >> see
> >> anything that would make this better. I have a Geforce 4 5200 video card
> >> in
> >> my main desktop at the moment, which i suppose i could swap in, if i can
> >> figure out how to cleanly swap them.

Don't understand what effect you're describing here...?

Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.