[mythtv-users] On PVR250 works, now an input question

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Aug 13 21:25:51 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:09:26PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2004 07:02 pm, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:33:32PM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > > There is also an option in Setup->TV Settings->Recording
> > > Priorities->General called "Reschedule Higher Priorities" that
> > > you probably want to use. Say you have basic and digital on
> > > card 1 and basic only on card 2. What if you have a basic show
> > > with a priority of 6 and a digital show with priority 3? The
> > > scheduler would normally give the higher priority to the show
> > > with 6 and the digital show can't record on the second card so
> > > it's SOL. This option says it's okay to move a higher priority
> > > show as long as it still gets recorded and allows something
> > > else to record. With this checked, the digital shows with 3 would
> > > get the S-Video card 1 and the basic show with 6 would get moved
> > > to card 2. Both record, nobody gets hurt =).
> >
> > Nicely put.  :-)
> >
> > I have a vaguely related question: it would appear that there is no way
> > to just record random video off those video inputs, that is, to ingest
> > old programs from tape. It *seems* as if, to be permitted to change
> > Input Connections on the tuner card you're watching, you have to have
> > defined a Video Source for the input in question... but there doesn't
> > seem to be any way to do that without associating the Input with a
> > Video Source... and there's no generic "Live Video" source.
> >
> > Can I hack one into the Video Sources table without breaking anything,
> > now that I've figured out how to *get* into those tables?  :-)
> >
> > It seems this shouldn't be a *really* uncommon need; perhaps Live Video
> > would be a good thing to add as a default Video Source.
>
> There are better tools to use if you just want to record arbitrary, non-tv,
> content off of your composite/s-video input.

If one if willing to live with the lesser integration of interacting
with such programs via MythVideo and mplayer, certainly.

Is it really *that* difficult, though, to concoct a row for videosource
that will allow this and not break anything?

Yeah, I know, it's my itch...

Cheers,
-- jra
--

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't